Thursday, 15 November 2012

Report: Verwood Tn 3-2 Lymington Tn - Wessex Premier

OFF!: A bad night for

IN a match fraught with indecision and inconsistency, traits that were not limited to the players, discipline was always likely to win through over desperation.

And so it proved as Adie Arnold’s Verwood Town emerged from the fog that slowly settled over Potterne Park and the red mist of struggling Lymington to secure three valuable Wessex League points.

Despite taking an 8th minute lead, the Potters fell behind to two quality strikes within three first half minutes, but after levelling before the break the hosts battled their way to victory in an otherwise dour second half.

Following the frenetic pace of the first 45 minutes, Verwood’s calmer approach deservedly paid dividends as Lymington, winless in 14 leaguematches since their opening day victory at Bournemouth Poppies, cracked under the pressure in a closely fought clash.

Merl Anteney-Wright may have been at the hub of the Linnets’ downfall in the second half, but in reality problems began to surface from the outset.

Verwood started the brighter with Anteney-Wright hacking Ben Kelly’s effort from a corner off the line shortly before Nathan Saxby’s driving run ended with Jack Satterley seeing his shot deflected wide. The Potters’ pressure was soon rewarded, though, as Mike Haskell bundled home the resultant corner inches from the goal line.

Lymington boss Andy Leader pulled no punches, screaming through the thick haze at his defenders “That’s embarrassing!” He wasn’t wrong.

But the visitors’ frustration continued to boil over as they tried to work their way back into the game with most of the venom fired at dithering referee Paul Knight. Leader seemed to lambast the match official with every whistle, setting the tone for a barrage of dissent from the visitors during the second half.

It was a shame, because the two goals in three minutes that turned the game on its head were as good as you’re likely to see at this level. First, a break in numbers saw Jordan Rogers burst through the middle and lay the ball off for James Fry who found Elliott Wykes at the far post. A calm touch was followed by a cool finish as Wykes nestled the ball in the bottom near corner.

The shell-shocked hosts then conceded another as Lymington broke again, working the ball from left to right with Jack Igglesden twisting back inside from the corner of the penalty area before blasting inside Chris Lynch’s far post.

Despite the setback, Verwood continued to probe while the visitors continued to moan. Granted, some of Knights’ decisions were questionable, but with a precious lead in their hands, Leader’s men should have lived up to their gaffer’s name instead of squabbling with the man in the middle.

With greater assurance on the ball, it came as no surprise when Verwood equalised before half time with a goal equal to Lymington’s high quality strikes. A well worked move down the right saw the ball pulled back to Satterley on the edge of the area who sent a rasping drive in off Stuart Williamson’s left hand post.

However, anyone expecting the same entertainment levels during the second half would have found the disappointment bite as hard as the chilling temperatures as Verwood lost their impetus.

Simple balls from left to right caught the Potters backline out too often, but Igglesden and substitute Roy Vinor spurned presentable openings either side of James Fry managing to hit the corner flag from a promising position.

It was from there that the frustrations boiled over with Anteney-Wright wrapping an early Christmas present for the hosts.

First, he crashed through Satterley out on the right after taking the ball with team mate Williamson lucky to escape with a booking for a lengthy verbal assault on referee Knight.

The real punishment was still to come though as Kris Anderton’s free kick was glanced across goal by Charlie Gajic, finding the top corner to add to Lymington’s disgust.

The visitors became ragged and Satterley almost sealed the victory when his thunderbolt rattled the post with three minutes left, but there was still time for Anteney-Wright to blot his copybook further, getting in a tangle and stamping on Verwood’s top scorer right in front of Knight who had no choice but to dismiss the fuming full back.

Knight found it difficult to leave the pitch at full time with Lymington skipper Luke Ansell, goalkeeper Williamson and staff from the visitors’ bench having plenty to say, but in truth they had only themselves to blame.

The Potters were worthy winners, not just for their mental strength in a testing match, but for creating the better chances. Back-to-back wins sees Arnold’s men climb to 14th in the table with a nice gap emerging between themselves and the danger zone. Lymington may wish to take note.

*A SLIDESHOW from the match by Verwood photographer Roy Mortimer can be found here.

VERWOOD TOWN: Lynch, Evans, Kelly, Delaney, Dyer, Saxby, Gajic, Webb, Haskell, Satterley, Hill (Anderton 46). Unused subs: Smith, Murray, Roades, J Jones.

Goals: Haskell 8, Satterley 40, Gajic 76.

LYMINGTON TOWN: Williamson, Stacey, Anteny-Wright, Baker, Barnes-Andrews, Pancaldi, Igglesden, Ansell, Rogers (Vinor 46), Fry (Simms 77), Wykes. Unused subs: R Jones, Huggins.

Goals: Wykes 23, Igglesden 25.

STAR MAN: Jack Satterley (Verwood Town)

A constant danger, working hard to cause an error prone defence plenty of problems. Could, maybe should, have had more goals. Occasionally, the ball didn’t quite run for him, or the post denied him a wonder strike, but decisively got on the scoresheet at an important time and was a menace until the final whistle. Just ask Merl Anteney-Wright. 

No comments:

Post a Comment